Names of many of Washington's schools reflect the contributions of blacks to the city and nation. Each week during Black History Month, The District Weekly will identify these schools, as well as other landmarks. tThe following D.C. public junior high schools are named for black leaders: JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOLS
Banneker, Euclid Street between Georgia and Sherman avenues NW: Named for Benjamin Banneker, born in 1731 in Ellicott City, Md. He made what is said to be the first clock in America. As a surveyor, he helped lay out the blueprint for Washington, reproducing the plans from memory when the committee chairman, Major Pierre-Charles L'Enfant, resigned and returned to France with them. Banneker also produced an almanac that contained tide tables, data on eclipses and useful medicinal formulas and, products. His almanac, which appeared for more than a decade, was the first scientific book written by a black American. He died in 1806.
Browne, 24th Street and Benning Road NE: Named for educator Hugh M. Browne, born in the District in 1851. A graduate of Howard University and Princeton Theological School, he was ordained and licensed as a minister in the presbytery of Washington , D.C. Browne worked as a professor at Monrovia College in Monrovia, Liberia, and was head teacher of the department of physics in the black high school here for 12 years. He also taught physics at Hampton Institute in Hampton, Va., and was principal of the black high school in Baltimore and the Cheyney Institute for Colored Youth in Cheyney, Pa. He died in 1923.
Douglass, Pomeroy and Stanton roads SE: Named for Frederick Douglass, born a slave in 1817 in Talbot County, Md. He was the foremost speaker of the abolitionist movement Douglass escaped from slavery by disguising himself as a sailor fleeing to New York. He became an agent in the Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society and began his life work as leader in the emancipation crusade. After buying his freedom, he founded The North Star newspaper. He was forced to flee to Canada, however, when the governor or Virginia said Douglass had conspired with Harpers Ferry revolt leader John Brown and swore out a warrant for Douglass' arrest. When the Civil War broke out, Douglass met with President Lincoln and helped him recruit the celebrated 54th and 55th Massachusetts Negro regiments. During the Reconstruction, Douglass was appointed to the territorial legislature of the District of Columbia and in 1872, he served as one of the presidential electors-at-large for New York. He also became secretary of the Santo Domingo Commission, was a police commissioner here, was appointed marshal and named recorder of deeds. His most important federal post was that of minister resident and consul genral to the Republic of Haiti and charge d'affaires for Santo Domingo. He died here in 1895.
Evans, 5600 East Capitol St.: Named for Dr. W. Bruce Evans, born in 1866. He was the first principal of Armstrong High School and developed it from a small school with 16 technical students to a school for more than 700 pupils. He was a teacher and administrator in D.C. public elementary schools for 15 years. A graduate of Howard University Medical School, he conducted teachers' institutes at the Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute in Hampton, Va., for seven years, and devoted much of his life to volunteer extension work in Maryland and Virginia. He died in 1918.
Francis, 24th and N streets NW: Named for physician John R. Francis, born here in 1856, who was first assistant surgeon at Freedmen's Hospital from 1894 to 1905. He was also acting surgeon in chief of Freedmen's during the illness of the surgeon-in-chief, and a trustee of the public schools here. He died in 1913.
Garnet-Patterson, 10th and U streets NW: Named for Henry Highland Garnet, born of slave parents in Kent County, Md., in 1815. He was pastor of the 15th Street Presbyterian Church, minister resident and consul general of the United States at Monrovia, Liberia, and a noted orator who spoke out for freedom. He died in 1882.
Hamilton, 6th Street and Brentwood Parkway NE: Named for Julia West Hamilton, born in 1866, who was involved in community and church affairs here for 60 years. She was organizer and first president of the Washington and Vicinity Federation of Women's Clubs; a member and treasurer of the NAACP and first woman chairman of its 1929 membership campaign; president of the Ladies' Banneker Aid Associations; president of the Federation of Church Clubs, Metropolitan AME Church and the only female trustee of that church; member of the National Council of Negro Women and president of the Phyllis Wheatley YWCA. She died in 1958.
Johnson, Bruce Street and Robinson Place SE: Named for Dr J. Hayden Johnson, who was born in the Distict in 1875 and practiced medicine here for 53 years. He was a member of the Board Of Education for 21 years, serving on the Buildings and Grounds and Personnel committees. He died here in 1954.
Miller, 49th and Brooks streets NE: Named for Kelly Miller, born in 1863, a major black spokesman and teacher in the early 20th century. A graduate of Howard University, he taught for a short time in D.C. public schools and then joined Howard's faculty, where he remained for most of his academic career as a professor of mathematics, chairman of the sociology department, dean of the junior college and dean of the college of arts and sciences. He published many analytical essays on racial problems and solutions, and the promise of the black race. He was the first black academician to write a regular column for the black press. His major publications were "Race Adjustment," "Out of the House of Bondage," "History of the World War and the Important Part Taken by the Negroes," and "The Everlasting Stain." He died in 1939.
Shaw, 10th Street and Rhode Island Avenue NW: Named for Col. Robert Gould Shaw, born in 1837, who was commandant of the heroic 54th Massachusetts Regiment, the first black regiment sent into the field from the free states during the Civil War. He was killed in action in 1863.
R.H. Terrell, First and Pierce streets NW: Named for Robert Heverton Terrell, born in 1857, an educator, attorney and municipal judge here. He taught and held administrative posts in the D.C. public schools; was chief clerk in the office of the Fourth Auditor of the U.S. Treasury; was a member of the bar of the Supreme Court of the District of Columbia and the Supreme Court of the United States, and a justice of the peace. He died in 1925.
C.G.Woodson, 4101 Minnesota Ave. NE: Named for teacher, school administrator, scholar and author Carter Godwin Woodson, born in 1875. He began his teaching career here in 1909 and became principal of Armstrong High School in 1918. He then became dean of the School of Liberal Arts at Howard University and the School of Liberal Arts at West Virginia State College. He was the founder of the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, and publisher of the Journal of Negro History. oAmong his most famous books is "The Negro in Our History." He started Negro History Week in 1926 and began publication of the Negro History Bulletin in 1937.He died in 1950. CAPTION: Pictures 1 and 2, Hamilton Junior High was named for Julia West Hamilton, active in church and community affairs. By John Dwyier for The Washington Post; Pictures 3 and 4, Frederick Douglass, the foremost spokesman for the abolitionist movement, is commemorated at [WORDS OMITTED FROM TEXT]