Charles F. Blackman, 68, a retired Foreign Service officer with the Agency for International Development and the old U.S. Information Agency, died of pulmonary fibrosis Tuesday at George Washington University Hospital.
Mr. Blackman was a native of Kansas City, Mo., and attended the University of Missouri. He was an editor and reporter for newspaper in Missouri before World War II.
Following wartime Army service, he became a civil affairs director with the U.S. occupation forces in Germany. He joined the Foreign Service in 1952 and was a public affairs officer in Rome and Berlin from the mid-1950s to early 1960s.
After directing the Berlin task force of the USIA from 1962 to 1964, he was assigned to Washington. He was a counselor of the U.S Embassy in Australia from 1967 to 1970.
He spent the next five years as an official of AID's population office in Washington before retiring from the government in 1975.
Mr. Blackman was a population resources consultant with the Baruch Foundation at Clemson University. He then returned to live in Chevy Chase. He also maintained a home in Three Springs, Pa.
He had belonged to the American Foreign Service Association, the National Press Club and the Sierra Club.
Survivors include his wife, Martha, of Chevy Chase and Three Springs; a son, Charles IV, and a daughter, Barbara, both of Seattle; three other daughters, Nan, of San Francisco, and Susan and Rebecca, both of Chevy Chase, and one grandchild.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) Scholarship Fund, 2101 E St. NW, Washington, 20037.