The Rev. Albert K. Hayward, 72, a retired Episcopal minister who served parishes in Fairfax County, Richmond and elsewhere, died of cardiac arrest Sunday at Alexandria Hospital.
Mr. Hayward was born in York, Pa. He graduated from the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va., and then from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria. His first parish was in Mount Joy, Pa.
In 1942, he became rector of the Truro parish in Fairfax and the Church of the Good Shepherd in Burke. He served those parishes until 1948, when he became rector of the Church of the Holy Comforter in Richmond. In the 14 years that he remained there, he supervised the moving of the church from a location in the center of the city to the western edge of Richmond.
In 1962, Mr. Hayward moved to Smithfield, Va., where he was rector of Christ Church and of St. Luke's, which is believed to be one of the oldest church buildings still in use in the United States.
He retired in 1966 following a stroke and moved to Manassas. In 1944, Mr. Hayward and his wife, Marie Helm Hayward, moved to Goodwin House, an Episcopal retirement home in Alexandria.
In addition to his wife, Mr. Hayward is survived by two daughters, Marie Collins, of Springfield, and Otey Swoboda, of Arlington, and six grandchildren.