George H. Fallon, 77, a Democrat who represented Maryland's 4th district in Congress from 1941 to 1971, died Friday at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore. He had emphysema.
A lifelong resident of Baltimore, he had lived there in retirement since his defeat in the 1970 Democrat primary by Paul S. Sarbanes, who was then a member of the Maryland House of Delegates and is now a U.S. senator.
Mr. Fallon, a long-time member of the House Public Works Committee and its chairman at the time of his defeat, was known for his work supporting the interstate highway system and the completion of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.
In addition to highway matters, he supported other legislation such as the 1961 Housing Act, the 1962 Trade Expansion Act, the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1964 antipoverty bill and income tax cut.
He was considered moderately liberal and he generally supported proposals of the Kennedy and Johnson administrations.
In 1954, Mr. Fallon was one of five congressmen who were wounded when Puerto Rican fanatics opened fire inside the House chamber. He escaped with minor injuries.
His rise in Maryland politics began in 1938 when he was elected to the Democratic State Central Committee of Baltimore. At the time, he was associated with an advertising sign business, the Fallon Sign Co., which had been founded by his father in 1904.He had joined the firm after attending Calvert Business School in Baltimore and Johns Hopkins University.
In 1939, Mr. Fallon was elected to the Baltimore City Council. After his election to the House in 1944, he devoted little time to the family business, which later was dissolved. He commuted to Washington from Baltimore to attend the House sessions.
In 1971, President Nixon signed legislation naming the federal office building in Baltimore for Mr. Fallon.
Survivors include his wife, Willa Fallon of Baltimore; a daughter, Joyce O'Connor of Baltimore; a brother, Lawrence Fallon Jr., and a sister, Regina Fallon, both of Baltimore, and four grandchildren.