C. Reginald Smith, 60, assistant to the director of the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, died Saturday at Washington Adventist Hospital. He had cancer.
Mr. Smith was a specialist in technical administration and supervisor of facilities planning for the laboratory. He helped direct the construction of new laboratory research buildings in Howard County during the 1950s and 1960s.
He was a native of Mayodan, N.C., and had attended George Washington University. He worked for the U.S. Civil Service Commission and then was a machinist for the Washington Institute of Technology before joining the physics lab in 1942.
He was a member of the Episcopal Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Wheaton.
Survivors include his wife, Doris Virginia, of Silver Spring, where the family lives; a daughter, Karen L. Smith of Olney; a son, Charles R. Jr., of Alexandria; a sister, M. Arlene Duffy of Rockville; a brother, J. Vincent, of Silver Spring, and his father, Charles G., also of Silver Spring.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to Project Share of the Episcopal Church of St. Mary Magdalene, 3820 Aspen Hill Rd., Wheaton, 20906, or to the Committee of Friends, 600 North Wolfe St., The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, 21206.