Retired Navy Cmdr. William S. Luberda, 59, a civilian aeronautical engineer for the Department of the Army's Mechanized Equipment Research and Development Command (MERAD-COM) at Fort Belvoir, died Saturday at Georgetown University Hospital after a heart attack.

Cmdr. Luberda received his commission after graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1942. During World War II, he served aboard the light cruiser USS Birmingham and participated in the invasion of Sicily and in the invasion of Saipan. After attending flight training school at Corpus Christi, Tex., in 1944 and 1945, he was attached to a fighter squadron in Coronado, Calif., until 1947.

Cmdr. Luberda then earned a master's degree in aeronautical engineering from the Naval Academy's post-graduate school in 1951.

He subsequently served with the Atlantic Fleet Air Command at Quonset Point, R.I., and was executive officer aboard the aircraft carrier Bennington in 1953 and 1954.

From 1954 to 1957, he was a power plant officer in the Overhaul and Repair division at the Naval Air Station in Norfolk, Va. He served as air officer aboard the carrier, USS Valley Forge in the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Caribbean in the late 1950s.

His last assignment was as head of the component and accessory branch of the Bureau of Weapons here in 1959. He retired in 1964.

Cmdr. Luberda then joined MERADCOM's programs, and analysis directorate and subsequently became chief of the programs division. Last year, he received two commendations from the Army Department for his efforts in preparing a MERADCOM handbook.

He was born in Chicago Heights, Ill., and lived in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Jean K., of Washington: a son, William S. Jr., of Detroit; three daughters, Jeanne Borchers of San Diego, Calif., Anne, of Arlington, and Joanne, of Washington; a sister, Estelle Gress of Olympia Fields, Ill., two brothers, Stanley, of Calumet City, Ill., and John, of East Chicago, Ind., and two grandchildren.

The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to a memorial fund in his name at the Naval Academy's Alumni Association.