James E. Bond, 61, who operated automobile service stations in the Washington area for more than 30 years, died Saturday at his home in Rehoboth Beach, Del., after a heart attack.
He owned and operated the Northeast Shell Service Center at 14th Street and Maryland Avenue NE from 1947 to 1969, and Barney's Circle Shell at 17th and Pennsylvania Avenue SE from 1963 to 1968. Since 1969 he had owned and operated Towncentre Shell in Laurel.
Mr. Bond was a charter member of the Society of Chesapeake, a Shell owners group. He held a number of Shell company awards, including the 1969 Shell Washington Dealer of the Year, several Top Performance Awards, and a 30-year plaque.
He was a member of Silver Spring Masonic Lodge No. 215, the Almas Temple in Washington, and the Order of the Scottish Rite.
Mr. Bond and his wife, Joan R., had been part-time residents of Rehoboth Beach for the past 15 years. They owned "Muffy's Bag," a gift shop there. They also were members of the Rehoboth Beach Yacht and Country Club.
Mr. Bond was a native of Washington and a 1936 graduate of McKinley High School. He served as an officer in the Army Quartermaster Corps during the World War II. He had maintained a home in Silver spring since about 1950.
In addition to his wife, of Silver Spring and Rehoboth Beach, Mr. Bond's survivors include two daughters, Claudia B. Bailey of Silver Spring and Carla B. Fiore of Columbia, Md.; two sisters, Dorothy M. Pollard of Beltsville, and Rose B. Carter of Adelphi, and two grandchildren.