The District government postponed the layoffs of 225 employes of the Department of Corrections yesterday, and Mayor Marion Barry said he is "reevaluating" all the planned budget cuts within the department.

Officials said 113 officers and other staff members who had been terminated Monday were called yesterday and asked to come back to work today.

Corrections officials have proposed a new budget-cutting plan to Barry based on an unexpectedly high number of employe resignations.

City Administrator Elijah Rogers said yesterday, however, that "there will be layoffs" in the department, although he declined to say how many because the details still were being worked out.

The Barry adminstration had hoped to save about $4.5 million with the layoffs as part of its campaign to reduce a budget deficit that may reach $170 million this year.

However, two lawsuits, one filed by inmates of the city's maximum security section at Lorton and the second by the guards' union, effectively stalled the city's actions.

Now, such layoffs would save the department only about $500,000 this fiscal year, which ends Oct. 1, one official said.

The reinstatement of the guards laid off Monday also headed off a threat by Corrections employes to hold a wildcat strike tomorrow.

Bernard Demczuk, union shop steward at the D.C. jail, said yesterday, "Barry realized that the amount of money he would be saving cannot justify the risks of violence or strikes that the layoffs would have brought."

However, city spokesman Alan Grip said the layoffs were being reconsidered because of the attrition rate and other management factors, "not the result of any kind of threatened walkouts or strike."