George Bosque, the San Francisco Brinks guard charged with stealing more than $1.8 million from a company armored car, was arrested in the District of Columbia four years ago on a charge of grand larceny while employed as a police dispatcher at George Washington University.

Bosque vanished last Friday, allegedly along with the $1.8 million in cash, after he reportedly conned the driver of a Brinks armored car into leaving the vehicle during a routine cash pickup. The FBI is currently seeking Bosque, 25, and Carl Denton, a 22-year-old former roommate of Bosque for questioning in the case. Denton is not a suspect in the case, according to the FBI.

Bosque's job with the George Washington University campus police ended on March 7, 1976, the day before his arrest on the grand larceny charge. University officials refused to comment on the circumstances of his department, and reporters were unable to locate the court records describing the final disposition of the case.

University sources said, however, that Bosque, who joined the police force on Aug. 28, 1975, was allegedly involved in a theft of property, including some police equipment.

"He left under a cloud," said one person who worked with him. "There definitely was a problem."

On a year earlier Bosque allegedly had another brush with the law.

Bosque, a man Brinks company officials recently described as a trusted employe, allegedly took a car that belonged to his high school teacher in Miami.

According to a teacher at the military academy he attended in Miami, Bosque took her automobile in late 1974 or early 1975, and drove it out of the state before being apprehended by the police. The teacher said she pressed no charges against Bosque, and the case was dropped.

Dade County, Fla., police say they have no record available on the incident since no arrest was made.

The FBI declined comment on Bosque's alleged theft or criminal record. Brinks officials could not be reached for comment.

Interviews with several teachers and acquaintances of Bosque portray a man who wanted desperately to succeed as a police officer despite his run-ins with the law.

Besides the Brinks guard job he had held since January 1978, Bosque worked as a private security guard for 2 1/2 years in the San Francisco Bay area.

He once tried to join the regular San Francisco police force, but failed, according to several who knew him there, and even ran unsuccessfully for San Francisco sheriff in 1979.

During the past year, however, he became increasingly fearful he would lose his Brinks job because of epilepsy, according to several who knew him.

Of Cuban descent, Bosque was raised in Miami and attended a Miami miltary academy, graduating in 1973. His instructors remember him as a bright and very successful student who worked on the campus newspaper and who was fascinated with military life.

"At the time, he was very interested in the military," says Stephanie Guinness, who had Bosque in one of her journalism classes at the academy. "He always said he wanted to become a general."

"He was always dressing up very sharp," adds Raoul Fuertes, the academy's guidance counselor, "playing the military type."

Fuetes said the last time he heard from Bosque was in the summer of 1974 when he received a postcard with a "picture of the devil" that Bosque had signed his name to. The card had been mailed from Washington, D.C., and contained no other notation.