A 3-year-old Northeast Washington boy was killed and three other persons were injured yesterday afternoon when a fire swept through their first-floor apartment, D.C. fire officials said.

The boy, John Maxfield Jr. of 1227 Brentwood Pl. NE, died of smoke inhalation. His body was found beneath a table in a bedroom. Investigators said the fire, which was discovered about 1 p.m., may have been a result of the child's playing with matches.

Also injured in the blaze were the victim's cousins, 11-year-old Jackie and 14-year-old Melissa Wooten, and their mother, Martha Wooten.

Jackie Wooten was taken to Children's Hospital where she was treated for smoke inhalation and released. Melissa and Martha Wooten were taken to Providence Hospital, where Melissa was treated for smoke inhalation and released. Their mother was admitted in stable condition with burns she suffered when she tried to rescue the 3-year-old from the burning room.

The boy's mother, Myrtle Maxfield, was at work when the fire occurred.

The Maxfield apartment was destroyed and the building received smoke damage, officials said.

In a second blaze yesterday, morning rush-hour traffic was tied up for nearly two hours when a fire broke out at the Bon Apetit restaurant, 2040 I Street. NW.

Fire officials said a short circuit in a second-floor wall outlet in the three-story brick building caused the blaze. Damage to the building and its contents was estimated at $35,000. Morning traffic was rerouted from Pennsylvania Avenue to L Street, and from 19th Street to 21st Street.