In its long history, dating from before the Revolution, Falls Church has been the home of the famous and near-famous. It was the site of at least one Civil War battle and has won numerous awards for civic spirit. The Falls Church Village Preservation and Improvement Society reminds residents and visitors of the city's unique place in history in its pamphlet on memorable events.
The first mayor of Falls Church, incorporated as a town in 1875, was Dr. John J. Moran, a Baltimore native. His place in history, according to the society pamphlet, was assured when he "attended Edgar Allen Poe at his death in 1849."
The Battle of Peach Orchard was supposedly fought in 1863 in an orchard behind Cherry Hill, an historic farm adjacent to city hall. "Unfortunately," the society pamphlet says, "It (the battle) is not recorded anywhere, but it was remembered."
For a time during World WAR II, Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower lived at Tallwood, at 708 E. Broad St. Eisenhower remarked later that he had never seen Falls Church by daylight because of the pressing demands of his wartime duties.
The "Falls" in Falls Church refers to the Little Falls of the Potomac River, five miles away.
The city, twice named Tree City USA, has a tree commission and an official arborist charged with the development of a tree-planting and preservation program and the enforcement of regulations to preserve trees on private and public property. Three trees in the city are listed as "Champions" on the Virginia Forests Registry -- a native scarlet oak at 207 Noland, and two exotic trees, a Japanese red maple at 201 N. West and a purple copper beech at 606 E. Columbia St.
There is a James Thurber Court, named after the humorist who lived in Falls Church in 1901 and 1902.
Francis Scott Key, who wrote "The Star Spangled Banner," was a lay reader at The Falls Church, where George Washington and George Mason were vestrymen.
An unexcavated site on Roosevelt Street at East Broad Street, next to the Oakwood Cemetery, shows the remains of earthworks occupied by Confederate and Union troops in the Civil War.
The Crossman Farm, at N. Washington and W. Columbia streets, is believed to have been the last permanent Indian campsite in Northern Virginia.