The manager of a Georgetown restaurant yesterday helped rescue an off-duty D.C. policeman who had been disarmed and was being beaten by four men in a pre-dawn attack in front of the restaurant.

Swining a bottle of wine, Gus Anthony, 27-year-old manager of the Pall Mall Restaurant at 3235 M St. NW, rushed from the restaurant and frightened the assailants who had knocked the bleeding policeman to the sidewalk and were kicking him. The attackers pointed the officer's .38 caliber handgun at Anthony, but then fled without firing, according to Anthony.

Angry, Anthony said he returned to his car, went looking for the assailants, found two of them nearby, notified police and stood by smiling while both were arrested.

Then he raced home, donned a tuxedo and got married.

"I think this probably will be the most memorable day of my life," he said yesterday.

According to police reports, off-duty officer Timothy Leach and a girlfriend went to the Pall Mall near closing time at 2 a.m. to congratulate Anthony on his upcoming marriage. When they left, Leach saw four men fighting across the street, D.C. Police said.

Leach ordered the men to stop and reached for his badge to identify himself.

"One of the four men hit him in the face," Sgt. Adrian Barnes said. "Then they took his revolver."

The men continued to punch and kick Leach, police said.

The doorman at the Pall Mall told Anthony, who grabbed a wine bottle and dashed outside. A Pall Mall bartender, Carl Early, and the doorman followed Anthony. The four attackers turned and pointed the gun at Anthony, according to police. One of them also slugged Early in the face, police said, before all four fled.

"I really wanted to get those guys for jumping my friend," said Anthony, who began scouting the area in his car. He found two of the men "walking calmly across Key Bridge, still carrying the gun." D.C. Police arrested them while they were still on the bridge.

Charged with assaulting a police officer were Parris Alexander III, 22, 1303 Montello Ave. NE, and Eugene Jones, 32, 1351 Howard Road, SE, police said.

U.S. Park Police arrested two other men in suburban Virginia near Key Bridge. They were Dennis James Brooks, 24, of Alexandria, and Michael A. Johnson, 29, of Gaithersburg. They were charged as fugitives and face possible extradition to the District of Columbia in connection with the assault on Leach.

Leach and Early were treated for cuts on their faces and released from Georgetown University Hospital.

"I'm sure going to have a lot to tell my bride tonight," Anthony said before the wedding yesterday. "No one has told her yet, and I think she'd be surprised."