J. Ted Englehardt, 82, a retired architect who designed a number of buildings at University of Maryland, including the Denton Hall complex of dormatories, died Saturday at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring following a stroke.
Mr. Englehardt was born in Chattanooga, Tenn., and became an architect there through apprenticeship. He was licensed in Tennessee and was in private practice there until 1934, when he moved to Washington and joined the government.
He went to work in the Office of the Supervising Architect in the Treasury Department. Among the structures he helped design was the terminal of National Airport.
In 1949, he left the government and started his own firm, J. Fred Englehardt & Associates. He operated it unitl 1977, when he retired. He lived in Silver Spring.
Mr. Englehardt was a member of the American Institute of Architects and was certified to practice in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia, in addition to Tennessee. He also was a member of the Silver Spring Rotary Club and a former member of the Silver Spring Board of Trade.
Survivors are his wife, Mary Z. of Silver Spring, two sons, J. Ted Jr. of Granville, Ohio, and Dan T. of Fort Sumner Hills, Md., and five grandchildren.