Viola H. Cook, 90, an employe of the Bureau of the Census from 1922 until her retirement in 1953 and a longtime resident of Arlington, where she was active in church and service groups, died Nov. 7 at the Manor Care nursing home in Arlington. She had a circulatory ailment.
Mrs. Cook was born in Round Hill, Va., and grew up there and in Washington. She was a graduate of old Business High School. In 1917, she went to the Panama Canal Zone to marry George F. Cook Sr., then an employe of the Panama Canal Commission and later president of the Old Dominion Bank in Arlington.
The couple returned to the Washington area in 1919 and settled in Arlington. Mrs. Cook began her career at the Census Bureau three years later.
She was a member of the Arlington United Methodist Church for more than 60 years and was active in its Pollyanna Class, the Maude Joyner Fellowship and the Evergreens.
She also was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and was a charter member and past matron of its Grace D. PerLee Chapter No. 120 and the Al Manarah Court No. 50 of the Ladies Oriental Shrine of North America.
Mrs. Cook was a charter member of the Ladies Auxiliary of Arlington Eire Department No. 1, and a member of the Salvation Army Service Club, the Arlington Women's Club, the Arlington Women's Democratic Club, the Panama Canal Zone Society, American Legion Auxiliary No. 85 and the National Association of Retired Federal Employees.
Her husband died in 1948.
Survivors include a son, George F. Cook Jr. of Arlington, three grandchildren and one great-grandchild.