Dr. Frank J. Broschart, 94, who hung out his doctor's shingle in Gaithersburg in 1918 and continued to care for the sick for 60 years, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 23 in Montgomery General Hospital. He had been a resident of the Rockville Nursing Hone for about four months.
Dr. Broschart brought his wife and five children with him when he settled in a large, old Gaithersburg house, where he maintained offices until 1967. He then moved his office to the home of a daughter, Catherine Sommerville, in Gaithersburg and continued to dispense checkups and blood pressure tests along with medical advice until 1976.
He called it quits two years later while living with a son, William E. Sr., in Gaithersburg. By then his "patients" were mostly just old friends who dropped by to chat.
When Dr. Broschart started his practice in Gaithersburg, there were no paved roads and he often traveled by horseback to make house calls in that community as well as in nearby Germantown, Clarksburg, Damascus and Seneca. cHe became associated with Montgomery General Hospital. Eventually he dropped obstetrics and surgery and took up radiology.
In the late 1920s, he organized the X-ray department at the hospital and served as its head for more than 30 years. From 1943 to 1963, he was medical examiner of Montgomery County, called out any time of the day or night to assist police in the handling of deaths involving violence or mysterious circumstances.
Dr. Broschart was born in Dushore, Pa. He graduated in 1911 from the old Baltimore Medical College, which later became pat of the University of Maryland Medical School. He took his internship at the Maryland General Hospital in Baltimore and the old Providence Hospital in Washington.
In 1913, he went to West Virginia to work as a doctor in the coal fields. Then came World War I and he served as an Army major during the war. He settled in Gaithersburg after the war, after looking over several towns in Maryland.
At one time, Dr. Broschart had been company surgeon for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. He also had been physician for the Gaithersburg-Washingtonn Grove Fire Department. He had seved as president of the old Maryland-Virginia-D.C. Medical Society and was a member of the Montgomery County Medical Society. He had belonged to the American Legion.
His wife, the former Sarah Henderson, died in 1976.
In addition to his son and daughter, he is survived by another daughter, Maryl B. Cissell of Hagerstown, 17 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.