Carl A. Bachschmid, 71, the former owner and operator of a jewelry store in Bethesda who was active in business and civic groups, died Monday at the Collingswood Nursing Center in Rockville. He had arteriosclerosis.
A native of Washington, Mr. Bachschmid was a graduate of McKinley Technical High School. He worked for R. Harris & Co., a jewelry firm, before founding his own store, Carbert's Jewelry, in 1940. The store was located on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda and Mr. Bachschmid operated it until 1971, when he sold it and retired.
Mr. Bachschmid was a former president of the Bethesda Chamber of Commerce, the Bethesda Board of Trade and the Bethesda Rotary Club. He was one of the organizers of the first Bethesda Trade Show in 1949, part of the proceeds of which went to Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School. In the 1950s, he sponsored The Lords, an organizations of high school students who were active in community projects.
One of Mr. Bachschmid's efforts to improve his own business drew notice in The Wall Street Journal. This was his habit of having his employes put nickels in parking meters on which the time had expired and leaving "Compliments of Carbert's" calling cards.
He was a members of the Manor and Kenwood country clubs. He lived in Bethesda until about three years ago, when he moved to the Collingswood center.
Mr. Bachschmid's wife, the former Suzanne Barneveld, whom he married in 1931, died in 1976.
Survivors include a daughter, Carol B. Pulizzi, and a sister, Frieda B. Patterson, both of Potomac, and two grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Children's Hospital National Medical Center, Washington, D.C.