Volunteers are needed by the Departments of Recreation and Human Services to work in a variety of jobs.

Recreation volunteers must be 13 or older and willing to work under the supervision of a program director on arts and crafts projects, trips, table tennis tournaments, skating, swimming and social activities. They can also help organize and supervise team sports, sing-alongs and other activities or work with special programs such as the program for the mentally and physically handicapped and Washington Youth Gardens.

The Department of Human Services needs case aides, office assistants, nurses, therapists and retired teachers as well as volunteers to help feed elderly patients and escort them to chapel services and auditorium programs. Professionally trained volunteers are also needed to work in an alcohol and drug abuse program and with the Developmental Disability Service Center.

Volunteers may also work on a one-to-one basis with retarded persons at Forest Haven and help prepare them to leave the institution and live in the community. Scout sponsors, escorts for trips and group leaders are also needed.

Persons interested in becoming recreation volunteers may call Mary McKey at 673-7660. Those interested in working with DHS may contact Barbara Veneris at 724-5470.