Rupert C. Woodward, 62, who was director of libraries at George Washington University from 1967 until his retirement in 1979, died of a coronary occlusion Wednesday at his home in McLean.
He also was a former chairman of the library council of the Consortium of Universities of Washington, D.C. and former president of the D.C. Library Association.
Mr. Woodward was born in Statesboro, Ga. He graduated in 1940 with a bachelor's degree in history from George Peabody College in Nashville, and after World War II service, returned there to earn a bachelor's degree in library science. Later he received a master's degree in Latin American history from Louisiana State University.
During World War II, Mr. Woodward was with an Army field artillery battalion in Europe.
From 1947 to 1949, he worked in the library of the University of Alabama. He was in Guatemala City, Rio de Janeiro, and San Jose, Costa Rica, as a librarian with the U.S. Information Service from 1950 to 1954. He then worked in the library of Louisiana State University and was associate library director at Texas A&M University before coming here in 1967.
Mr. Woodward was a consultant to the Ford Foundation for the National Engineering University Libraries in Lima, Peru, in 1966.
In addition to the D.C. Library Association, he had been active in the Special Libraries Association and the Columbia Historical Society.
He is survived by his wife, the former Angela Mora, and two sons, Guy Frederick and Rupert, all of McLean; his mother, Irene Stapleton Woodward of Savannah, Ga., and four sisters, Helen W. Fentress of Memphis, Sybil W. Bazuin of Mathews County, Va., Anne W. Dillon of Williamsburg, Va., and Priscilla W. McNeil of Washington.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the charity of one's choice.