George D. Whitmore, 82, a retired official of the U.S. Geological Survey who was active in professional organizations, died of septicemia Monday in a hospital in Woodstock, Ill.
Mr. Whitmore came to Washington and joined the survey in 1945 as technical staff chief of the topographic division.He became the survey's chief topographic engineer in 1957, a post he held until retiring in 1968.
He was a past president of both the American Congress of Surveying and Mapping and the American Society of Photogrammetry. He also had served as chairman of the surveying and mapping division of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
He was the recipient of the American Society of Photogrammetry's Struck Award for his work in photogrammetry, the process of map making through the use of aerial photographs. He also earned a surveying and mapping award from the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Interior Department's Distinguished Service Award. The Whitmore Mountains in Antarctica were named for him.
He was a member of the American Geophysical Union, the American Geological Institute, the Washington Society of Engineers, the American Polar Society and the Antarctican Society. He was an honorary member of the Canadian Institute of Surveying.
Mr. Whitmore was a native of Michigan and lived in Chevy Chase for 27 years before retiring to Woodstock in 1972. He was a member of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Chevy Chase.
He began his engineering career with a geodetic and topographic engineering firm in Toledo, Ohio, in 1917, then was surveys chief of the maps and surveys branch of the Tennessee Valley Authority from 1933 to 1945.
His wife, the former Helen O'Neill, died in 1975. His survivors include a son, Robert, of Naples, Fla.; three daughters, Margaret Gallagher of Reisterstown, Md., and Patricia Tambone and Jane Whitmore, both of Woodstock; 24 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.