John William Hanger, 70, vice president for legislative affairs of the National Industries for the Blind and a retired colonel in the Army, died Wednesday at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He had pneumonia.

Col. Hanger was born in Fitzgerald Ga., and graduated from the University of Georgia in 1932 with a bachelor's degree in chemistry. He also was a commisioned a lieutanant in the Army infantry through the Reserve Officers Training Corps. During the 1930s, he was called to active duty and assigned to a Civilian Conservations Corps camp in North Carolina.

In World War II, he was a supply officer assigned to the Army Air Corps and served in North Africa, Sicily and Corsica. After the war, he served at various posts in the United States and also in Okinawa and Germany. From 1958 until his retirement in 1965, he was stationed in Washington. His last assignment was as chief of the office of support services in the Department of the Army.

He them became an official of the National Industries for the Blind and remained with that organization until his death. While still in the military, Col. Hanger was appointed by President John F. Kennedy to the Committee on Purchases of Blind-Made Products. He later was a member of the President's Committee for the Employment of the Handicapped.

Col. Hanger, who lived in Falls Church, was a governor of the U.S. Soldiers' and Airmen's Home, a deacon and elder of the Falls Church Presbyterian Church and a member of the Army & Navy Club. He was a member and former president of the Georgia State Society in Washington.

His military decorations included the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star Medal and two Army Commendation Medals.

Survivors include his wife, Annie Laurie, to whom he was married for 46 years, of Falls Church, one son, John William II, also of Falls Church; three daughters, Ann Lee Wiseman of Arlington, Jane Hanger Seeley of Minneapolis, Minn., and Fran Hanger Brooks of Winston-Salem, N.C., and four grandchildren.

The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to a charity of one's choice.