Elizabeth Morgan Styles, 87, a retired government researcher and long-time Falls Church resident whose family settled Cherry Hill Farm, now a Falls Church historical site, in 1840 and later donated the land for the city's library, died of congestive heart failure Tuesday at her Falls Church home.
A native of Philadelphia, Miss Styles was brought to Falls Church by her family at age 4. She attended grammar school in Washington and graduated from the old Jefferson Institute in Falls Church.
She was a research specialist for the Department of Agriculture for 25 years before retiring in 1958. She also had worked for the Department of Commerce.
In 1957, Miss Styles and her brother, Francis, donated the land for the Falls Church Library, which was renamed the Mary Riley Styles Public Library in 1977 in honor of their mother.
Cherry Hill Farm, her four-acre childhood home, which is located next to the city hall, was purchased and restored by the city of Falls Church as a park and historical site.
Miss Styles was a member of the Cherry Hill Foundation and a charter member of both the Village Preservation and Improvement Society in Falls Church and Historic Falls Church. Her recollections of early life on the farm have been recorded for the Falls Church Historical Society.
She was active in the Falls Church Episcopal Church and was a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Book Study Club in Falls Church and the Virginia Library Association.
She is survived by her brother, Francis Styles of Alexandria.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Mary Riley Styles Public Library in Falls Church.