Thomas Aloysius Kelly, 63, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who served as a specialist with the adjutant general's office on matters relating to retired officers and who later worked for the Retired Officers Association and International Group Plans Inc., died of cancer Friday at Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg, Va.

A former resident of Arlington, Mr. Kelly moved to a farm in Stanley, Va., after retiring in 1979 from International Group Plans Inc. here as an account executive for the Retired Officers and Fleet Reserve associations.

He began his 25-year Army Career in 1953 and was a communications officer with the adjutant general's office in Australia and in the Philippines during World War II.

After moving to the Washington area in 1950, he was assigned to the adjutant general's office here and to tours of duty in Panama and Korea. In the late 1950s, he helped establish and served as first chief of the Retired Activities Unit of the adjutant general's office.

Mr. Kelly retired from the military in 1965. He then joined the Retired Officers Association as a legislative counsel and specialist on the Civilian Health and Medical Plan of the Uniformed Services (CHAMPUS). In addition, he wrote a column in the association's newsletter and was a contributor to the Retired Officers Magazine.

In 1973, he transferred to International Group Plans Inc.

Mr. Kelly was an active member and lay reader at St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church. He also was active in the Men of O'Connell parents' group of Bishop O'Connell High School in Arlington.

He was a native of Dickson City, Pa., and grew up in New Have, Conn.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, the former Teresa Reder, of Stanley; two sons, Thomas A. Jr., of Evanston, Ill., and Dennis J., of Arlington; two daughters, Mary Anne Kelly, of Atlanta, and Alice Kelly, of Washington; a sister, Alice Logan, of Boca Raton, Fla; and a brother, Patrick J., of Auburndale, Mass.

The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to Our Lady of the Valley Church in Luray, Va., or to charity.