Percy H. Sachs, 85, a retired government management specialist who was active in fraternal and patriotic organizations, died Monday in Alexandria Hospital after a stroke. He was a resident of Alexandria.
Mr. Sachs worked in private industry and for the state of Pennsylvania until 1939, when he began his federal career with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Harrisburg, Pa. He became a financial manager with the Rural Electrification Administration in St. Louis in 1942 and transferred to the Washington area with the Rea in the mid-1940s.
In 1947, Mr. Sachs left the Re and worked for the Army and Air Force departments as a management analysis until he retired from government in 1955. He then returned to his native Pennsylvania and was a management analyst with U.S. Steel and the Pennsylvania Highway Department before retiring a second time in 1961. He returned to this area in 1971.
Mr. Sachs attended the Carnegie Institute of Technology. He served with the Army in France during World War I. He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and was a life member of American Legion Post No. 176 in Springfield. He was a past president of REA War Veterans Association.
He was a 32nd degree Mason, a Shriner and a member of the Scottish Rite. He helped organize the Boy Scout troop at Fairlington Methodist Church in the mid-1940s.
His professional memberships included the Society of Advanced Management and the American Management Association.
He was a past president of the Springfield chapter of the National Association of Retired Federal Employees and a member of the Civitan Club of Springfield and Grace Presbyterian Church in Springfield.
His wife of 53 years, the former Edna Miller, died in 1978.
Survivors include two sons, Budd Herman, of Annapolis, and Ronald Jon, of Springfield; two daughters, Byrdann Fox of Alexandria, and Esther Edson of Springfield; 11 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Civitan Club of Springfield, or to the Shriners Hospital.