Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson, 82, rabbi of the Combined Congregations of Greater Washington and a founder of the Hebrew Academy of Greater Washington, died Sunday at Sibley Memorial Hospital following a stroke.
Rabbi Levinson, who was regarded as the dean of the Washington rabbinate, also helped found the Yeshiva High School in Silver Spring. At the time of his death, he was leader of Congregation Beth Joshua in Silver Spring.
He was an honorary vice president of the Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington, a member of the Rabbinical Council of America, the Religious Zionists of America and Agudas Harabonim, an organization of orthodox rabbis in the United States and Canada.
Rabbi Levinson was born in Jerusalem and received his rabbinical training there. In the mid-1920s, he came to the United States and led a congregation in Greensport, N.Y., for about three years. In 1929, he moved to Alexandria and led the Agudas Achim Congregation until about 1935, when he became leader of Congregation Beth Sholom in Washington.
In 1947, he became leader of Congregation Beth El in Washington, and remained there until 1965, when he became leader of Congregation Beth Joshua.
While with Congregation Beth Sholom, Rabbi Levinson helped found the Yeshivas Bais Yehuda -- the Hebrew Academy of Greater Washington -- in 1944. Since then, the academy has grown to more than 500 students. Rabbi Levinson was a former president of the institution, a member of its board of education and an honorary vice president.
Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Rebbitzen Tikua Levinson of Washington; a son, Solomon (S. Ben Lev), of Silver Spring; three daughters, Judith Rosenbaum of Israel, and Shonny (Rose) Kugler and Norma Burdett, both of Silver Spring; 16 grandchildren, and 18 great-grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Memorial Scholarship Fund, Hebrew Academy of Greater Washington, 2010 Linden La., Silver Spring.