W. Austin Williamson, 83, a retired real estate broker and Washington Post employe who had lived in Washington since the late 1920s, died of congestive heart failure Sunday at Howard University Hospital.
Mr. Williamson was a broker with the Eugene Davidson real estate company from the mid-1940s until retiring about 1960. He came to The Post in 1961 and worked in ther accounting department until transferring to the mail desk, the newspaper's internal "post office," in 1972. He was the desk's superviser for a year before retiring in October 1975.
He was a member of the Shiloh Baptist Church in Washington and had been chairman of the church's board of trustees and its expansion committee and a member of its scholarship committee. He was president of the Baptist training union for 17 years and helped supervise the development of the Earl L. Harrison Building and the Shiloh Family Life Center.
He was a member of the Northwest Boundary Civic Association, the Federal Golf League and the Pigskin Club. His hobbies included fishing, photography, and the construction of kites.
Mr. Williamson was a native of Palestine, Tex., and a graduate of Bishop College in Texas. He was a 1946 graduate of the Howard University law school.
Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Rose Evertt Williamson of Washington; a daughter, Yolande W. Ford of Silver Spring; two sisters, Johnnie Mae Lovett and Hortense Moore, both of Chicago, and two grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Shiloh Expansion Fund of the Shiloh Baptist Church for the construction of the Family Life Center.