A story in Monday's editions of The Washington Post incorrectly identified Carlos Rosario as the director of the D.C. Office on Aging. Rosario is employed in that office as the director's assistant for community organization.
Dr. Norman W. Harris Jr., 56, an assistant professor at the Howard University College of Medicine who was an authority on the quality of medical care, died of cancer Saturday at Howard University Hospital.
Dr. Harris, a specialist in urology, joined his late father in a private practice in Washington in 1953. He continued that work until last November, when he retired for reasons of health.
He earned his undergraduate and medical degrees at Howard and joined the faculty of the College of Medicine as a clinical instructor in urology in 1956. In 1971, he was named an instructor in urology and last year became an assistant professor in that subject. He remained on the faculty until his death. From 1957 to 1961, he also had been an instructor in anatomy.
In May, Dr. Harris received the William Alonzo Warfield Award from the Association of Former Interns and Residents of Howard for his service to the medical center.
Dr. Harris was a member of the National Capital Medical Foundation. Over the years, he was a chairman or member of several of its committees overseeing the quality of medical care. Among these assignments was the chairmanship of the Peer Review Committee in 1978 and 1979 and a period as a consultant to the old Department of Health, Education and Welfare to assess professional activities in Baltimore.
He was a diplomate of the American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review and a fellow of the American College of Utilization Review Physicians.
Dr. Harris, who was born in Washington, Graduated from Dunbar High School. After completing his undergraduate work at Howard, he served in the Army for two years during World War II. He earned his medical degree in 1947 and interned at Harlem Hospital in New York City. He was an assistant resident in obstetrics and gynecology at Provident Hospital in Chicago from 1949 to 1950. He then spent two years in the Air Force.
From 1953 to 1954, he was a resident in surgery at the old Freedmen's Hospital, now Howard University Hospital, and from 1954 to 1956 was a resident in urology. He was a staff physician at Howard and at other hospitals.
Dr. Harris, who lived in Washington, was a member of the Medico-Chirurgical Society of the District of Columbia, the National Medical Society of the District of Columbia, the American Medical Association, the Daniel Hale Williams Medical Reading Club, the Washington Urological Association and the Howard University Medical Alumni Association.
Survivors include his wife, Helen M. Harris of Washington; one son, Norman W. III, of Washington; four daughters, Karen Gaither of Columbia, Md., Patricia Porter of Los Angeles, and Charyl Hart and Kathleen S. Harris, both of Washington; one sister, Nadine H. Mitchell of Philadelphia, and three grandchildren.