Edward E. Tauber, 55, a retired Air Force sergeant and bureau chief with the Prince George's County Fire Department, died of cancer Saturday at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews AFB. He lived in Clinton.
During his 20-year military career, Mr. Tauber was stationed at installations in this area and in Japan. He served in the Navy before transferring to the Air Force, from which he retired in 1963 as a technical sergeant. He specialized in aircraft communications and radar and was a member of the communications team that developed the first presidential airborne command post.
Mr. Tauber, who was born and reared in Washington, became a volunteer firefighter for the Silver Hill Fire Station in Maryland while serving in the Air Force. He was volunteer chief of the station in 1955-56. He also was an instructor at the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute.
In 1964, he joined the Prince George's County Fire Department as a fire inspector. He served as acting director of the Prince George's County Office of Emergency Preparedness and commanded the department's engineering and fire investigations divisions before being promoted to bureau chief in 1975. As such, he was in charge of the bureaus of fire and rescue communications and support services.
He also designed and implemented a communications center and radio network that has been used as a model for other fire departments.
After retiring in 1979 for reasons of health, Mr. Tauber assisted in training and fire prevention activities at the Clinton Fire Station.
Survivors include his wife, Mamie (Peggy) E. of Clinton; a daughter, Patricia A. Fleming of Huntingtown, Md.; a son, Philip E. of Falls Church; his mother, Eleanor McCauley of Oxon Hill; three brothers, George L. of Alexandria; James G., a Prince George's County fire captain, of Mechanicsville, Md.; and Robert of Austin, Tex.; three sisters, Verda A. Jenkins of Damascus, Amy Latimer of Marlowe Heights and Sally West of Camp Springs, and three grandchildren.