Norma R. Davies, 102, a retired registered nurse who was Arlington County's first full-time school nurse and was a founder of the Arlington Tuberculosis Association, died of cerebral arteriosclerosis Monday at her home in Goodwin House in Alexandria.
Mrs. Davies was the school nurse for Arlington County from 1925 until retiring in 1949. Before that, she had been a teacher in the Arlington County public schools.
Upon retiring in 1949, she told a Post reporter that she had watched the health of Arlington students "decidedly improve" and helped usher the schools through a diphtheria outbreak in 1927. She also observed that youngsters were "far cleaner" than they had been a quarter century earlier.
Mrs. Davies was a native of Manassas and a graduate of Goucher College in Baltimore. In 1903, she received a nursing degree at the Barnard Sanitorium in Baltimore and later served as superintendent of nurses there.
Between 1907 and 1910, she was superviser of sanitation at Goucher College. She taught school in the Prince William County public schools before joining the Arlington public schools in the early 1920s.
She was a longtime resident of Arlington and helped found the Tuberculosis Association there in the early 1920s.
Her husband, W.W. Davies, died in 1931. Mrs. Davies' survivors include two sons, William T., of Moorehead City, N.C., and Bankhead T., of Fairfax; a daughter, Anne D. Johnson of Arlington; a sister, Ruth R. Hooff of Alexandria; seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the American Lung Association of Northern Virginia in Fairfax or St. George's Episcopal Church in Arlington.