Anthony Vittoria was incorrectly was incorrectly described as owner of the Third Party restaurant, 515 Second St. NE, in a story yesterday about an attempted robbery at the restaurant. He is general manager.

Three men and a woman were arrested yesterday minutes after the armed robbery of a jewelry store in the exclusive Foxhall Square shopping center near American University in Northwest Washington.

The suspects, who police say may be responsible for two other jewelry store robberies involving more than $500,000 worth of gems, entered Mimosa Jewelry at 3301 New Mexico Ave. NW, and pulled guns, police said. They then tied up two employes before ransacking display cases and fleeing with two accomplices in an automobile, according to police.

A pedestrian flagged a passing patrol wagon, which overtook the car and arrested its occupants, they said.

Deputy Police Chief Melvin Winkleman said the four persons arrested in the jewelry store robbery were suspects in the earlier robberies July 13 at the Jewel Boutique in Georgetown and Monday at the Charles Ernest Jewelers near Farragut Square.

Booked on charges of armed robbery in connection with yesterday's robbery were McLinton W. Williams, 19, of 1430 W St. NW; Melvin Shumate, 19, of Hyattsville; Franklin Scott, 19, whose address is unknown, and Betty Ann Johnson, 27, of 1444 W St. NW. Johnson was identified by police as the driver of the car.

Lt. John Harlow gave this account of the jewel robbery:

At about 2:15 p.m., two men entered the Mimosa store, expressed interest in jewelry items, then pulled handguns and took two women employes to a back room where they tied them up. They returned to the front and ransacked display cases.

As they left the store and got into the car with the two others, a pedestrian who was watching thought their behavior was strange and flagged down a patrol wagon. Officers Curtis White and David Mizerick overtook the car at a stop signal at Nebraska Avenue and arrested its four occupants. Det. Thomas Selby, off duty and passing by on his personal motorcycle, stopped and helped make the arrests.

Jewelry, cash and two handguns were seized by the officers.

In another incident yesterday, Anthony Vittoria, owner of the Third Party restaurant, 515 Second St. NE, was shot in the arm by one of two men who entered his establishment at 10:35 a.m. and, at first, asked if there were any job openings. When one pulled a gun, Vittoria jumped off a barstool, threw it at one of the men, and -- even after being shot -- pursued them out the door. He was treated for a shoulder wound at Capitol Hill Hospital and released.