Lawrence W. (Slippery) Jackson, who was paroled after serving nine years in jail for narcotics trafficking in connection with the most notorious drug conspiracy case ever prosecuted in Washington, has been arrested and charged with conspiracy and heroin distribution.

Jackson, 45, described by police as a "large scale, wholesale dealer" in Washington area drug circles, was arrested Monday night in an apartment in Hillcrest Heights, a short distance from his home in a middle-class section of Southeast Washington.

Law enforcement officials recovered 1.4 pounds of heroin, with an estimated wholesale value of $241,000, and $7,000 in cash in the apartment, which police said was used as a "stash house" to store drugs.

D.C. Police Chief Maurice T. Turner said yesterday that during the course of a year-long investigation by local and federal officials, undercover agents had purchased $40,000 of 56 percent pure heroin from Jackson or alleged associates still to be arrested. Any heroin of 50 percent purity or more is considered high grade by drug enforcement officials.

U.S. Magistrate Paul M. Rosenberg in Baltimore yesterday ordered that Jackson, who was paroled in December 1979, be held on a $1 million bond.

Law enforcement officials also arrested Rebecca Montgomery, 40, who is described as Jackson's girlfriend, at 3 a.m. yesterday at 2307 Brooks Dr., Suitland.

Montgomery, who is charged with one count of conspiracy to distribute heroin, was released on her personal recognizance by the Baltimore federal magistrate. A preliminary hearing in the case was scheduled for Sept. 9.

Jackson was described by prosecutors in 1970 as the chief local operative in an immense narcotics distribution ring that was so efficient "it was like calling Chicken Delight."

After a lengthy trial, he was convicted of running a round-the-clock narcotics trade and sentenced to 25 years in prison and ordered to pay a $25,000 fine. Five codefendants were also convicted, including three major New York drug traffickers and a D.C. narcotics police officer who tipped off the conspirators to police plans. The government relied heavily on wiretap evidence gathered over 38 days.

A U.S. Parole Commission official said yesterday that Jackson was released after serving eight years and 10 months in prison.

If convicted of the additional heroin charges, Jackson could be required to serve the remaining 16 years, known in prison parlance as "back up time," five years back up time on a counterfeiting conviction for which he was also on parole and any new sentence imposed.

Court officials said yesterday that Jackson's fine remains unpaid and that he has denounced a negotiated agreement between his lawyer and the government, reached last October, that he pay $50 a month toward the fine.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Price Gielen told Magistrate Rosenberg yesterday that during the investigation by D.C. police and the federal Drug Enforcement Administration, Jackson had allegedly complained to an undercover agent that he was "distressed" over the disorganized way in which heroin was distributed in Washington.

Gielen said in court that Jackson allegedly said he intended to reorganize that narcotics business and planned to have an unlimited supply of heroin available once his connection was released from prison.

Turner said at a press conference yesterday that Jackson began to reestablish his drug network shortly after his release from prison in December 1979.

Meanwhile yesterday, D.C. narcotics investigators, who recently have conducted a sweep of arrests of alleged drug offenders across the city, made 53 additional narcotics-related arrests in a 10-block area near Wheeler Road and Varney Street SE and in Northwest Washington from Seventh and T streets to 15th and Irving streets.