E. K. Morris, 84, founder and former president of the Federal Storage Company and chairman emeritus of the board of trustees of George Washington University, died Friday at George Washington University Hospital. He had a heart ailment.
In addition to his business career and his work at George Washington, Dr. Morris was active in numerous civic and service organizations. He was elected a trustee of GW in 1957 and chairman of the board in 1965. He held that post until 1972, when he was elected an honorary trustee and chairman emeritus.
He was born in New York City. He attended Williams College and served in the Navy air arm during World War I. In 1956, he received an honorary doctorate of laws from Southeastern University and in 1973 an honorary doctorate of public service from GW.
Dr. Morris moved to Washington in 1921. In 1925, he founded Federal Storage. He was president of the firm until 1963, when it merged with the Security Storage Company of Washington. He was chairman of Security Storage until he retired in 1966.
He also served on the boards of several other businesses, including the Riggs National Bank, the Liberty National Bank and the Washington Gas Light Company.
He was a past president of the Metropolitan Washington Board of Trade, the United Givers Fund, now the United Way, the Kiwanis Club of Washington, the Washington Executives Association, the Boys' Clubs of Greater Washington, the Boys' Club Foundation and the Williams College Alumni Club of Washington.
Dr. Morris also was a member of the executive committee of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area, chairman of the Luther Rice Society at GW and chairman of the executive committee of the Episcopal Home for Children.
He was a past master of the Temple-Noyes-Cathedral Lodge of the Masons and of the Albert Pike Consistory.
Among the honors he received was the Brotherhood Award of the National Conference of Christians and Jews.
Survivors include his wife, the former Teresa James, of Washington.