The facades of four buildings in Gaithersburg's old town will be rehabilitated as part of the city's continuing effort to preserve the historic quality of the area.

The City Council Monday entered into an agreement with Lawson King, the owner of the properties, who will pay for the facade work.

In return the city has agreed to contract for sign and canopy work in front of the East Diamond Avenue stores: an antique shop, food store, appliance repair store and real estate rental agency.

The city will pay for 80 percent of the sign and canopy work with federal Community Block Grant funds. King will pay the remaining 20 percent.

In other business, the council updated the city's planning and zoning fees. The lengthy fee list sets new charges for applications for zoning map amendments, master plan amendments, site amendments, board of appeals requests, subdivision approvals and other services offered by the city's planning department.

The council also made two appointments to the city's Advisory Committee on Consumer Affairs and commended two members whose terms have expired. Wilbur Sharpe and Paula Weinstock were appointed to one-year terms on the committee. William Holland and Karen Johnson were presented with certificates of appreciation for their one year of service.