Fire and medical experts offer these tips for preventing burns:
* Don't leave food cooking unattended on the stove. Make sure all pot handles are facing the back of the stove and not hanging over the edge. When possible, use the back burners.
* Check the glass window of your oven to find out if it overheats while the oven is in use. Heat-sensitive glass is recommended.
* Make sure curtains, paper towels and similar materials are not near stove burners.
* Clean grease off the stove.
* Don't leave containers of hot liquid within reach of small hands.
* Don't pour coffee or tea with a child in your arms; one quick move can lead to a spill and a scald.
* Make sure all household appliances work properly.
* Make sure no electrical cords are left dangling in the reach of children.
* Do not place a child in the bathtub until you have tested the water.
* Do not leave small children unattended in the bathtub or at the sink; they can turn the hot water knob.
* Try to set the water heater in your house or apartment so that the hot water temperature is no higher than 130 degrees. Tap water can be tested with a candy or meat thermometer.
What to do in a crisis:
* If there is a small fire in the kitchen, cover the pot; use a fire extinguisher if you have one, or baking soda. Do not use water; it spreads the flames.
* If the fire is out of control, get out and close the door behind you.
* If someone catches on fire, don't run. The person on fire should drop to the floor and roll until the flames are out. A coat or blanket can be thrown on the person to smother the flames.
* Take the burned person's clothes off immediately, wrap the person in a clean sheet or towel and get to the hospital. If a large portion of the body is burned, keep the person warm to prevent shock.
* For minor scalds, burns and chemical splashes, remove clothes and flush the skin with cold water -- not ice.
* Do NOT put butter, toothpaste, baking soda or ointments on the burn.
* If you have the slightest question about the severity of the burn, go to the nearest hospital.