Both the Metro bus driver and the truck driver involved in Friday's spectacular collision near Bolling Air Force Base were ticketed yesterday for traffic violations in connection with the accident that sent the bus plunging down an embankment and caused more than 20 injuries.

D.C. police said bus driver Ronald W. Arrington, 24, of Southeast Washington, was accused of speeding. They said truck driver Frank H. Graves, 35, also of Southeast, was accused of going through a red light.

Neither charge is a criminal offense and both are to be handled through the administrative procedures of the city's Bureau of Traffic Adjudication, police said. A hearing is set for Feb. 26.

Meanwhile, a Metro spokesman said that the agency will conduct its own investigation of the dramatic morning rush-hour crash in which the bus, in a collision with the truck, ripped through a guard rail and, before coming to rest on its side, tumbled down a 20-foot embankment, hurling passengers from their seats.

Any action that might be taken against Arrington would follow completion of Metro's inquiry, which will take the police investigation into account, according to the spokesman, Cody Pfanstiehl.

Arrington was one of two persons reported seriously injured when his A-9 bus, carrying about 30 passengers and bound for L'Enfant Plaza SW, was in collision with the truck and toppled off an access ramp leading from Portland Street to South Capitol Street.

"People fell all over each other; all you could see were bodies flying," one passenger recalled later.

Arrington was released yesterday from the Washington Hospital Center, a hospital spokesman said. The other seriously injured victim, Robert Abney, 19, of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE, was reported in fair and stable condition yesterday.

The truck driver, whose truck was owned by Crow's Hauling Service Inc., of Washington, was not reported injured.

The accident occurred where Portland Street crosses South Capitol on an overpass. The truck was westbound on Portland and the bus was headed north, about to enter a ramp leading down to South Capitol.

According to accounts obtained the day of the crash, the truck had been standing at a red light, preparing to cross the overpass. First , however, it had to pass through an intersection with the ramp. Both vehicles were trying to cross that intersection when they collided.

A spokesman at Bolling said that at least four accidents have occurred at the intersection since September.