John Bernard Lauer, 63, a Prince George's County businessman and a former member of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, died March 29 at Holy Cross Hospital. He had emphysema.
Mr. Lauer, who lived in College Park, was born in Washington and graduated from the old Central High School. He began his business career as owner of a general store in Glendale and later owned a delicatessen in Landover Hills.
In 1965, he went into real estate, specializing in commercial property. In 1969, he bought a liquor store in Laurel. He continued in the real estate and liquor businesses until his death.
In 1953 and 1954, Mr. Lauer was the chief building inspector of Prince George's County. From 1959 to 1967, he was a member of the MNCPPC.
He was active in Republican politics.
Survivors include his wife, Ruth Dixon Lauer of College Park; three sons, John B. Jr., of Davidsonville, Md., Michael C., of Waldorf, and Joseph E., of Laurel; five daughters, Ruth L. Dearybury of Nokomis, Fla., Patricia Stouffer of Henrietta, N.Y., Margaret L. Bryant of Waldorf, Katherine L. Curtin of Bowie, and Lisa L. Wilson of Edgewater, Md.; two sisters, Zelah Weberling of Suitland, and Theresa Becker of Silver Spring; a brother, Charles G., of Suitland, and 17 grandchildren.