Beth Ritchie Sundquist, 65, a former official of the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority who directed the restoration of the John Carlyle House in Alexandria, died of a heart ailment April 11 at Orinda, Calif. She was vacationing when she was stricken.
Mrs. Sundquist, who had lived in Arlington since 1941, worked for the Office of Defense Transportation during World War II and later did publicity and promotion work for the Arlington Civic Symphony and the Arlington Chamber Orchestra. In the 1960s, she was a reporter for The Northern Virginia Sun and The Washington Star.
In 1969, she joined the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority, where she became assistant to the executive director. In 1974, she was named director of the project to restore Carlyle House, which dates from 1753. The house was opened as a museum in 1976.
Mrs. Sundquist, who retired from the park authority in 1976, was a life member of the Carlyle House Council, a group of volunteer supporters of the project. She also was a member of the executive board of the Arlington County Historial Society and a vice chairman of the Virginia chapter of the Nature Conservancy.
She also had been active in Arlingtonians for a Better County, a civic organization, the Democratic Party and the Woman's National Democratic Club.
Mrs. Sundquist was born in Idaho. She studied at Weber College in Ogden, Utah, and the University of Utah before moving to Arlington.
Survivors include her husband, James L. Sundquist of Arlington; three sons, Erik L., of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Mark L., of Madison, Wis., and James K., of Pittsburgh, and one grandson.