John R. Crown, 74, a retired vice president of the Export-Import Bank and colonel in the Army reserves, died of cancer April 19 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.
Col. Crown was born in Brooklyn and came here at an early age. He was a graduate of St. John's College High School and a 1929 graduate of Georgetown University's foreign service school. After working for a time in New York, he returned to Washington in 1935 and became personnel director in the Treasury Department's bureau of accounts.
During World War II, he received an Army commission and served in both the old office of the fiscal director, Army Service Headquarters, in Washington, and in the Pacific. He retired from the reserves in 1967.
After the war, he worked for the Veterans Administration, then spent 22 years with the Export-Import Bank before retiring as vice president for administration in 1968.
Col. Crown had been vice president of Georgetown University's National Alumni Association, and president of its Washington alumni club. He was a member of the Fitzgerald-Cantrel American Legion Post, and a founder of the Men of St. John's and the Thomas More Society of America.
His first wife, Alice Wandor Crown, died in 1969.
Survivors include his wife, the former Pat Sullivan of Bethesda; a son by his first marriage, John R. II, also of Bethesda; a sister, Helen Fitzgerald of Silver Spring, and five grandchildren.