A 34-year-old chef at the Cafe' Maxime in the fashionable Georgetown Park shopping mall was shot to death early yesterday as he walked to his car from the restaurant.

Hector Revollo-Angulo of 3601 S. Fifth St. in Arlington was found sprawled in the street about 12:40 a.m. in the 3200 block of N Street near Wisconsin Avenue NW, police said, several blocks from the French restaurant. Revollo was the assistant night chef and usually worked until midnight.

Homicide detectives said yesterday they have no suspects and are unsure of the motive, although they said it might have been an attempted robbery. Revollo was shot once in the side and was pronounced dead at 1:38 a.m. at Georgetown University Hospital.

Revollo, a native of Bolivia who emigrated here five years ago, worked two jobs and had recently saved enough money to have his wife, Lupe, join him, along with the couple's three children, Sylvia, 18, Hector, 9, and John Charles, 5, according to his sister, Emma Revollo of Arlington.

"Someone shot my brother. I don't know why. He was a good man," Emma Revollo said yesterday.

Both of Revollo's current employers described him yesterday as a quiet, reliable worker and a serious person whose main goal had been making enough money to ease his family's transition from Bolivia.

"He was the best of a kind," said George Koropoulos, the owner of Maxime. "A man who you can talk to, and he can blush, a very shy, quiet man . . . . It is so ugly and so sad. In the middle of Georgetown, for something like this to happen."

Koropoulos said that he had said goodnight to Revollo shortly after midnight, when Revollo left on his way to his customary parking place on N Street in a quiet residential area. The men had made a date to meet around noon because Koropoulos wanted to discuss making Revollo head chef at a new restaurant he plans to open at International Square, Koropoulous said.

"Just last night I had said 'I know you will need more money because of your family,' " Koropoulous said he told Revollo. "He was very excited."

"You have to shake up the police about this," said Koropoulous, "for somebody who works like a dog for his family, getting killed on N Street. This is so ugly."

In addition to his eight-hour stint at Maxime, Revollo worked 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily as a waiter at Alexander's Three Penthouse Restaurant, a French restaurant in Rosslyn. Alexander Inglese, the owner, said Revollo's job application listed past jobs at several fashionable French restaurants in the metropolitan area. "He was a nice quiet guy, a good-looking boy. This is such a shock," Inglese said.

Revollo had been a physical education teacher in Bolivia but decided to leave, his sister Emma Revollo said, "because life in my country is too many problems, and for teachers it was too little money. So he came here, where working is not a problem."

Revollo had lived with his sister and worked as a dishwasher before getting jobs as a waiter and a chef, she said. He had recently rented a place in the Shenandoah apartments in Arlington for his family.

"He worked all day, all night," she said. "On Sundays he went to church" at St. Charles Catholic Church, which has a large South American congregation.