Fort Dupont Park's summer entertainment series will begin its seventh year June 25, hosting a mixture of jazz, blues and soul musicians and dance groups at outdoor, festival-style concerts.
In previous years the weekly concerts have drawn from 5,000 to 20,000 persons to the Southeast park across the Sousa Bridge. Al Dale, chief of public events for the National Park Service, says the Park Service and the Fort Dupont Civic Association have added trash receptacles and more parking in response to complaints about litter and parking last year.
This year's schedule includes:
*June 25, Della Reese and a 17-piece orchestra, and The Black Byrds.
* July 9 and 10, Esther Satterfield, vocalist, and Paquita D'Riveria, saxophonist.
* July 16 and 17, Stanley Turrentine and Huh, a four-women comedy team.
* July 23 and 24, Dr. John, Hank Crawford and Fathead Newman (together known as Swamp Jam)and Rosella Clemmins, vocalist.
* July 30 and 31, Les McCann and the Laverne Reid Dance Company.
* Aug. 6 and 7, Winton Marsalis, trumpet player, and Buck Hill Quartet.
* Aug. 13 and 14, the James Moody Quartet and the Lou Donaldson Quartet.
* Aug. 20 and 21, Roy Ayers and the D.C. Percussion Society.
* Aug. 27 and 28, Rodney Franklin and Lettumplay Jazz Ensemble.