John D. Lange, 76, the executive director of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials from 1950 until his retirement in 1970, died of cardiac arrest July 9 at Alexandria Hospital.
Mr. Lange, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and took a bachelor's degree in economics at New York University. He began his career in the housing field as community manager of Greendale, Wis. He later was city manager of Palm Springs, Calif.
During World War II, he worked for the Federal Housing Administration in Washington. He then moved to Chicago, where he was the director of American Community Builders, the developers of Park Forest, Ill., a planned community.
In 1950, he returned here as executive director of NAHRO. In that position, he represented the industry point of view to the government in connection with such legislation as the 1966 act to rebuild slum and blighted areas and a 1968 program to assist for low- and moderate-income families seeking housing.
After retiring from NAHRO, Mr. Lange became chairman of the board of the Public Administration Service, a private organization devoted to housing for families of modest means with which he had long been associated. He also was a trustee for the Foundation for Cooperative Housing.
Mr. Lange also served in the international Executive Service Corps in Argentina, Indonesia and the Philippines. At his death, he was a director and treasurer of Micah, a nonprofit ecumenical effort to preserve low- and moderate-income housing in Alexandria.
Mr. Lange's survivors include his wife, Margaret K., and two children, Gretta Lange Bader and John D. Jr., all of Alexandria, and six grandchildren.