Dr. Harold P. Morris, 82, a biochemist who was noted for his work on the relationship between nutrition and cancer, died July 14 at Holy Cross Hospital. He had a heart ailment.
Dr. Morris joined the National Cancer Institute in 1938, the year it was founded. He retired there in 1968 as head of the nutrition and carcinogenesis section in the biochemistry laboratory. He then was named a research professor of biochemistry at the Howard University College of Medicine, where he retired this month.
In the course of his career, he helped develop the first animal model of stomach cancer and more than 100 tumors in the livers of rats. He also contributed to the development of a number of thyroid cancers in animals. These techniques made it possible for scientists at NCI and elsewhere to conduct continuing studies of the same kinds of cancer.
Dr. Morris was the author of more than 600 articles published in professional journals. He was a member of the American Chemical Society.
Dr. Morris, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Salem, Ind. He earned a bachelor's degree in agricultural biochemistry at the University of Minnesota and a master's degree in animal genetics and physiological chemistry at Kansas State University. He then returned to Minnesota, where he took a doctorate in agricultural biochemistry in 1930.
He moved to the Washington area in 1931 and began his government career as a research associate in the Bureau of Fisheries. He worked at the Department of Agriculture before joining the National Cancer Institute.
He was a former president of the Montgomery County Civic Federation. In 1950, he received The Washington Star Cup for a study he did on school population, density and school financing in Montgomery County.
He was a member of the Woodside Methodist Church in Silver Spring.
Survivors include his wife, Mary, of Silver Spring; three sons, Joseph, of Puyallup, Wash., Harold, of Mountain View, Calif., and Emory, of Brockport, N.Y., and six grandchildren.