Dr. Henry P. Kalmus, 76, an electrical engineer who was a retired chief scientist of the Army Materiel Command's Harry Diamond Laboratories, died July 30 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke. He lived in Washington.
Dr. Kalmus moved to Washington and joined the National Bureau of Standards in 1948. In 1953, he joined a predecessor organization of the Diamond Lab, and worked there until retiring in 1975.
His government awards included the Commerce Department's Exceptional Service Award in 1954, the Army Gold Medal Award for Exceptional Service, its highest civilian award, in 1961, and the Defense Department's Distinguished Civilian Service Award in 1970.
He did research work in radio, radar, gravity and military technology, and held more than 50 patents. A fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Dr. Kalmus was the 1967 recipient of Product Engineering Magazine's master designer award. He also received awards for his research from the IEEE, the Instrument Society of America, and the Gravity Research Foundation.
A native of Vienna, he came to this country in 1938. He earned a degree in electrical engineering at the Technical University in Vienna and a doctorate in physics at the University of Vienna. He worked for the Emerson and the Zenith radio companies before moving here.
Survivors include his wife, Diana Denny Kalmus of Washington; two daughters, Margaret Angela Kalmus of Philadelphia, and Josephine Diana Kalmus of San Francisco; a stepson, William Denny Scharf of Silver Spring, and a sister, Risa Lourie of Austria.