In The Washington Post's coverage on Aug. 22, 1982, of two attempted escapes from the Prince George's County Detention Center, jail spokesman Jim O'Neill inadvertently misidentified one of the inmates who escaped, was recaptured and attempted to escape again. The correct name of the inmate in question is Anual Rudisill.

Nine inmates whose attempt to escape Friday night from the Prince George's County Detention Center was foiled were charged yesterday with attempted escape, authorities said.

Lt. Col. Con Silard, assistant county sheriff, said yesterday that the men had been charged, but refused to comment further, citing the "sensitivity" of the matter. He said authorities will hold a press conference tomorrow to explain the details of the attempted jail break.

The nine, including five who were recaptured recently after a successful escape last month, were seized about 9:30 p.m. Friday as they were preparing to saw through the bars on a first-floor corridor window of the maximum security section of the jail in Upper Marlboro, according to authorities.

Before being caught, the nine had cut through three steel bars separating a dayroom area and the corridor and had removed an air conditioner from the window, which was barred on the outside, authorities said.

The attempt was foiled through "information developed mutually by the Department of Corrections and the Prince George's County Sheriff's Department," said Jim O'Neill, a spokesman for the Corrections Department.

He said authorities are investigating how the inmates got the hacksaw blades used in the attempt.

In the escape last month, nine prisoners fled after cutting through a third-floor window with a hacksaw.

The nine apparently jumped to the ground or lowered themselves with ropes. Six of the nine who took part in that escape were recaptured.

The five who had escaped previously and who were involved in last night's attempt were identified by O'Neill as Andre Phillips, 18, Harold Roberts, 27, Robert Rogers, 22, Labron Rudisill, 30, and Frank Washington, 28.

After being recaptured following the July escape, the five were placed in the jail's maximum security area. They and the other four inmates involved in Friday night's attempt, Michael Durham, 24, James Fields, 34, Harlow Sails, 20, and Terrance Harris, 21, had been held in five separate cells in that area, in the older portion of the jail, the corrections spokesman said.