Richard A. Herriman, 56, the founder and president of Dick Herriman Ford at Tysons Corner and a president of the Northern Virginia Auto Dealers Association, died of cancer Sept. 10 at Arlington Hospital.
Mr. Herriman, who lived in McLean, was born in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School. He earned a degree in accounting at Benjamin Franklin University. He served in the Army Air Forces in the Pacific during World War II.
He began his career in the automobile business in 1946 with L.P Steuart Inc., dealers in Chrysler products. He was a branch manager for Steuart in 1963 when he resigned and purchased Haley's Ford in Washington.
He operated Haley's until 1968, when he closed the business and opened Dick Herriman's Ford.
Mr. Herriman was chairman of the Ford Dealer Advertising Association and a member of the Automotive Trade Association, the National Auto Dealers Association, the Westwood Country Club and the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club. He was a vestryman and senior warden at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Arlington and a past master of Potomac Lodge No. 5 of the Masons.
Survivors include his wife, Ginnie, of McLean, two daughters, Dana Faulders and Lynn Stocking, both of Vienna; a sister, Anna May Richardson of Leonardtown, Md., and two grandchildren.