William Oliver Hughes Jr., the man sought in the killing of a D.C. bank teller during a robbery last week, surrendered to FBI agents in New Orleans Saturday night after telephoning both a New Orleans television station and the FBI, saying he wanted to turn himself in, according to the FBI.

Hughes, 26, telephoned the FBI office in New Orleans about 10:55 p.m., saying he would be at a bar at St. Ann and Chartres streets in the heart of the French Quarter, Cliff Anderson, spokesman for the FBI there, said. Hughes was not armed, Anderson said.

"He surrendered himself without incident," Anderson said yesterday of the man identified as Hughes. "No resistance, no problem, no nothing. He was complacent, amenable and cooperative."

Twenty minutes before he called the FBI, Hughes called WWL-TV, and talked to a desk assistant. "He said he was staying at a motel in the French Quarter and wanted to turn himself in," said Kent Collins, assignment editor for the station. "He said he thought the news media ought to be there."

But Hughes did not call the television station back and instead arranged his surrender with the FBI.

Hughes is wanted on a D.C. Superior Court arrest warrant charging him with murder in the slaying of Sonya Grillo Durham, 36, who was shot during a robbery last Thursday at a branch of the National Bank of Washington at 301 Seventh St. NW.

Police and bank employes said afterward that Durham had complied with the robber's demand for money when for no apparent reason he shot her in the head. The gunman then calmly took money from five other tellers before he escaped in a commandeered taxi, police said.

D.C. homicide detectives obtained the warrant Friday after people telephoned to say they recognized the robber from photos taken by the bank surveillance camera that appeared in newspapers and on television.

Area bus, train and air terminals were alerted to watch for Hughes, and D.C. police conducted an intensive search for him here, concentrating on five addresses where the suspect was known to have lived.

Hughes is scheduled for an extradition hearing before a federal magistrate in New Orleans today and is expected to be returned to Washington this week, a D.C. police spokesman said. The spokesman said Hughes would be arraigned in D.C. Superior Court on the murder charge.

The bank reportedly lost about $20,000 in the robbery. FBI agents did not recover any money, Anderson said. "Where's the money? We don't know. Where's the gun? We don't know. What's he doing in New Orleans? We don't know," Anderson said.