Volunteers are needed by a number of nonprofit organizations in Montgomery County.
* The Community Clinic, which encourages preventive health care, routine outpatient care and family and individual counseling for persons with emotional distress, needs volunteer nurses, laboratory technicians and health aides one day a week to help provide primary non-acute sick care. Positions are available during the day and evening in Rockville and Silver Spring. For information, call 340-9666.
* The Montgomery County Hotline, a 24-hour telephone counseling, information and referral service, needs volunteers to answer hot line phones four hours a week. Applications for late October training are being accepted from people 18 and older who are high school graduates. Daytime volunteers are especially needed. For information, call 949-1255.
* The Up-County office of the Montgomery County Red Cross, located in the Montgomery Village Mall, needs volunteer drivers to transport elderly and handicapped residents to medical appointments. Someone with organizational skills also is needed to work in the office coordinating the transportation program. For information, call 948-4163.
* Volunteers in Vital Assistance, the Montgomery County Office of Consumer Affairs' new, expanded volunteer program, is recruiting volunteers to work as information specialists. Training will be provided. For more information, call Nellie Miller at 279-1776.
* Montgomery County's free Tax Aide Service for older citizens is recruiting volunteers for the coming tax season. The volunteers would be asked to work a minimum of four hours one day a week from Jan. 10 through April 15 answering telephones and making appointments at Tax Aide Service sites. Training will be provided at the scheduling office, located in the Holiday Park Multiservice Senior Center, 3950 Ferrara Dr., Wheaton. For information, call 297-1666 or 468-4506.