The Rev. Dr. Herman M. Wilson, 87, administrator emeritus of the Asbury Methodist Village and a past chairman of the Maryland delegation to the 1971 White House Conference on Aging, died Oct. 25 at the Herman M. Wilson Health Care Center at the village, where he was being treated for cancer. The facility is named in Dr. Wilson's honor.
In 1927, Dr. Wilson joined the Asbury Methodist Home as its financial secretary. It is a retirement facility in Gaithersburg that is run by the United Methodist Church. He became the home's administrator a year later and held that post until 1963, when he retired and became administrator emeritus.
He was awarded the Maryland State Governor's Citation. He also received awards from the Chamber of Commerce and the Methodist Historical Society.
Shortly afterward, Dr. Wilson helped organize and lead a study tour of European facilities for the elderly.
Dr. Wilson had been a member of the National Council on Aging, a delegate to the first White House conference on aging in 1961, a president of the National Association of Methodist Hospitals and Homes and, since 1921, a trustee of Asbury. He lived there until his death.
He had been a chaplain and state historian of the American Legion, a member of the advisory committee of the Montgomery County Juvenile Court and a president of the Baltimore conference of the Epworth League. He was a charter member of Montgomery County Lions Club.
Dr. Wilson was born in Mount Airy and was a graduate of George Washington University. He earned a law degree at the University of Maryland, a master's degree in theology at Emory University, and a master's degree in divinity at Yale University. He was awarded an honorary doctorate in divinity by Western Maryland College in 1949.
He served with an Army hospital unit in France during World War I. After the war he began his ministry, devoting it to the field of aging. He lectured widely on the subject.
Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Lillian Earnest Wilson of Asbury Methodist Village; three sons; J. Randolph of Westminster, Md., and Dr. Robert J. and Ronald H., both of Gaithersburg; two brothers, Dr. James W., of Gaithersburg, and Allan M., of Washington; 11 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.