May 3, 1928: Edwin P. Wilson is born in Nampa, Idaho. 1952: Joins Marines and serves nearly three years before discharge as a first lieutenant. Nov. 1, 1955: Joins the CIA, the day after his discharge from Marines. 1971: Leaves the CIA. Soon after, begins work for Task Force 157, a top-secret Navy intelligence operation, as a contract supplier of shipping and export services. April 1976: Wilson's funding is cut off when TF 157 is shut down by then-Navy intelligence director Adm. Bobby Ray Inman. Inman later cites Wilson's activities as a reason for the action. June 1976: With former CIA employe Francis E. Terpil, Wilson obtains a contract with the government of Libya to obtain explosives and equipment, and to train terrorists for Col. Muammar Qaddafi. He later eases Terpil out of the Libyan connection. Over next five years, he commutes to Libya, London and Geneva, overseeing tens of millions of dollars of contracts with Libya. September 1976: Kevin Mulcahy, a business associate, informs the CIA of Terpil's and Wilson's activities. CIA officials contact the FBI, which begins an investigation. Oct. 3, 1977: Wilson allegedly ships 20 tons of plastic explosives from Houston to Libya by plane. April 23, 1980: Wilson is indicted by a grand jury in Washington, along with Terpil and Jerome Brower, a munitions manufacturer, on charges of shipping explosives and other materials to Libya, for conspiracy to assassinate. June 16, 1982: Wilson, living in Tripoli after leaving U.S. in 1979 or early 1980, is captured after an elaborate government ruse lures him out of Libya to the Dominican Republic, which denies him entry and sends him to New York. He is held on $20 million bond. July 19, 1982: Indicted by a federal grand jury in Houston in connection with the shipment of arms to Libya that allegedly occurred in 1977. Sept. 21, 1982: Indicted by a grand jury in Alexandria on charges he conspired to smuggle four handguns and an M-16 rifle to Libyan officials. Nov. 17, 1982: Convicted on seven of eight counts in U.S. District Court in Alexandria. Maximum penalty: 39 years in prison and a $240,000 fine. Nov. 29, 1982: Trial scheduled to begin in Houston on explosives exporting charges. Maximum possible penalty: 17 years in prison and $145,000 fine. Jan. 4, 1983: Trial scheduled to begin in Washington on charges of conspiracy to murder exiled Libyan dissident. Faces up to life in prison if convicted. Jan. 25, 1983: Trial to begin in Washington on alleged 1976 explosives shipments to Libya.