Elinor Hackett McGuire, 65, vice president of the McGuire Funeral Service, Inc., and a former chairman of the National Conference of Christians and Jews for the National Capital Area, died of cancer Dec. 12 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. McGuire was a lifelong resident of Washington. She graduated from Dunbar High School and attended Howard University. She took mortuary science courses at the National Foundation of Funeral Service and was a licensed mortician.

The McGuire funeral home was established by the family of her husband, Robert Grayson McGuire Jr., who died in March 1982.Mrs. McGuire was active in the firm for many years, serving as secretary, treasurer and, since 1975, as vice president. She also was a member of its board of directors.

She joined the National Conference of Christians and Jews of the National Capital Area in 1955. Among the offices she held were those of secretary of the board and Catholic cochairman.She was chairman from 1978 to 1980. In 1975, she received the organization's Community Service Award. In 1981, she initiated a series of "dinner dialogue" meetings to promote informal discussion among different parts of the community.

In the 1930s, Mrs. McGuire was a member of the New Negro Alliance. She was a former secretary of the D.C. Recreation Board, a cofounder and the first president of the Washington chapter of Jack and Jill of America, Inc. She also was a D.C. representative on the Advisory Committee on the Arts of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and a founder and member of the executive committee of the Washington Performing Arts Society.

She was a director and vice president of Catholic Charities of Washington, treasurer of the Voice of Informed Community Expression (VOICE), and a member of the Music Guild advisory committee of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, the Washington Urban League, the parish council and Sodality of the Shrine of the Sacred Heart and the Dunbar High School Alumni Association.

A son, Robert G. McGuire III, died in 1975.

Survivors include another son, John R., of Washington, and two grandsons.