John P. Moore, 66, a judge of the Maryland Court of Special Appeals since 1972 and for seven years before that a judge of the Montgomery County Circuit Court, died Dec. 23 at Georgetown University Hospital. He had had a stroke.
Judge Moore, a Democrat, was a member of the Maryland House of Delegates from Montgomery County from 1962 to 1966. During his legislative years, he was a leader in efforts to enact a public accommodations bill. He also supported bills to aid handicapped children and in 1966 and 1967 served as chairman of the Governor's Commission on Educational Needs of Handicapped Children. In 1967, he received the Agnes Bruce Greig Award for "leadership in behalf of handicapped children in the state of Maryland."
As a judge of the Montgomery County Circuit Court that had general jurisdiction in the county, he presided over a variety of civil and criminal matters. The Court of Special Appeals, to which he was first appointed by former governor Marvin Mandel and to which he later earned election, is the state's intermediate court of appeals. It hears juvenile and domestic cases, all criminal cases except those involving capital punishment, and some civil matters involving negligence, workmen's compensation and other matters.
In the 1950s, Judge Moore was a counsel to several committees of the U.S. Senate. One investigated the late senator Joseph R. McCarthy (R-Wis.), who fostered a vehement brand of anticommunism, in connection with a resolution that he be expelled from the Senate. Other committees assisted by Judge Moore investigated campaign expenditures in the 1952 and 1956 elections.
Apart from his years as a legislator and a member of the bench, Judge Moore was active in numerous civic and church affairs. He was chairman of the board of trustees of Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring from 1967 to 1976. He was a trustee of the Eye Research Foundation of Bethesda, a member of the board of management of the Silver Spring YMCA, and the Montgomery County cochairman of the National Conference of Christians and Jews.
He was a member of the parish of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, the chancellor of the Southern Association of the Knights of Malta, a member of the Knights of Columbus and a trustee of the John Carroll Society. He also was a member of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick and the Izaak Walton League.
Judge Moore, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in New York City. He graduated from Manhattan College and came to Washington in the 1930s to study law at Catholic University. During World War II, he was an officer in the Navy and served in Italy.
After the war, he practiced law with a number of firms in Washington and Montgomery County. He was appointed to the Montgomery County Circuit Court by former governor J. Millard Tawes and later won election to a full term in his own right.
Judge Moore's survivors include his wife of 41 years, Margaret H. Moore of Chevy Chase; two children, Bernadine A., of Bethesda, and John P. Jr. of Eau Claire, Wis.; four sisters, Alice Cinelli of New York City, Marion Palatucci of Pelham, N.Y., Agnes Kavanagh of Bethesda, and Dorothy Hines of Scarsdale, N.Y.; a brother, Dr. Bertram F., of New York City, and three grandchildren.